The DC-3 was a major milestone for Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA). It was used extensively on all domestic routes except over the Rocky Mountains. It flew as a companion to the faster Lockheed 14 and 18s and eventually with the Viscount which soon replaced it.
TCA operated a total of 30 DC-3s. Twenty seven were former C-47s and three were former USAF C-49s, all converted to airline configuration by Canadair. The first aircraft, CF-TDJ, entered service on November 1st 1945, flying between Toronto and New York. The final aircraft, CF-TEA departed on April 13th 1963.
Our aircraft, during her career with TransCanada Airlines (TCA)
The Pratt & Whitney powered aircraft were designated DC-3P by TCA and the Wright powered DC-3W. The basic DC-3P had three variants as follow:
- DC-3PT: Originally a training aircraft used also for Cargo
- DC-3PV : 28 passengers aircraft used on the Pacific Coast only
- DC-3PC: Equipped to handle cargo in the front, three rows of seats in the passenger cabin
- DC-3W : 28 passengers aircraft used on the Pacific coast only
Registrations were as follow:
|TCA Type||Model||Registration||T.C.A number|
Our aircraft, CF-TER started her career with TCA on April 4th 1947 and was withdrawn from service around summer 1957.